This recipe is for a 6-inch round cake with 5 layers. If making a 9-inch square cake with 6 layers (say you're making a TARDIS cake, for example), quadruple the ingredient amounts and have at it!
Make ahead tip:
The cake layers can be baked, cooled, and covered tightly at room temperature overnight. Unfrosted cake layers can be frozen up to 2-3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and bring to room temperature before decorating/serving.
No matter which size Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake you make, use the bake time listed as a loose guideline. When the cake layers are lightly brown on top and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly clean, they're done.
- Make the recipe as directed and bake in 5 6-inch cake pans for about 20-22 minutes
- Make the recipe as directed and bake in 3 9-inch cake pans for about 22-25 minutes (the layers will be thin)
- Double the recipe and bake in 3 9-inch square cake pans for 25-28 minutes (what I did, twice!)
- Halve the recipe and bake in 2 9-inch cake pans for about 20 minutes
- Halve the recipe and bake in 3 6-inch cake pans for about 20-22 minutes