Want chocolate cake, and want it now? Satisfy that insistent cake craving with a Microwave Mug Cake…it’s quick work to chocolate goodness!
Quick time cake
Sometimes I want cake, and I want it n-o-o-o-o-o-w. Nothing fancy, no gimmicks or frills…just give me cake. I don’t even want to wait the 35-40 minutes it takes to bake a cake, or have leftovers to get stale. Not even something as easy as Kahlua Cake will fit the bill. Nope, just give me a good old-fashioned single serving of cake that I can eat almost immediately and almost anywhere, and no one will get hurt. Enter, Microwave Mug Cake, stage left.
(wait, did you say microwave?)
5 Minutes to cake
You read that right…you can bake a cake in a coffee mug in the microwave, and in 5 minutes you’ll have a something ready to quell that insistent cake monster (well, maybe add a couple of minutes to let the cake cool, but that’s just the time it takes to wash the dishes before digging in). It’s quick, easy, chocolate-y goodness that soothes that whiny child within. Usually my husband and I will share a mug (I find that half is enough to satisfy my cake cravings), but the original recipe says 1 serving…I’ll leave that decision up to you (table for 1, please!).
Just measure, mix, and pour. What could be simpler?
Want a full-sized cake?
Ok, if you must. This microwave mug cake is a just a scaled down version of what I call Oil-and-Vinegar Cake, a simple yet satisfying recipe that bakes up in a 9-inch cake pan…the scaling down works because the recipe doesn’t contain eggs so there’s no partial eggs to waste. To scale the recipe back up, just multiply all the ingredients by 4 (see the Recipe Notes for the list) and bake at 350ºF for 30 minutes. There, now you can share.
Oh, you can doll up the cake if you wish by mixing in the batter chocolate chips, jam (raspberry is my favorite), or even sprinkles. How about topping the baked cake with chocolate chips while the cake is still warm so they get all melty? Or let the cake cool, then top with powdered sugar, frosting, ice cream, caramel or whipped cream…whatever suits your fancy. So when that irresistible urge to have cake now strikes, reach for a bowl, a whisk, and a mug…after all, why wait?
Slainté! L’chaim! Cheers!
Chocolate Microwave Mug Cake
- microwave safe 10 oz coffee mug
- 5 Tbsp all-purpose flour (1-1/2 oz, 45g)
- 4 Tbsp sugar (1-3/4 oz, 50g)
- 2 tsp cocoa powder (5g)
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- Dash salt
- 1/2 tsp white vinegar, or cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 4-1/2 Tbsp water (2-1/4 oz, 64g), boiling
- In a small bowl, whisk the dry ingredients together. Add the vinegar, vanilla, and oil, then pour the hot water over it all and whisk until smooth.
- Spray a 10oz (or larger) coffee mug with baker’s spray. Pour in the batter.
- Place the mug in microwave and cook on HIGH for 1-1/2 to 2 minutes, uncovered. Check your cake with a toothpick for doneness...if it comes out clean, it's ready.
- You can top the cake with chocolate chips or jam while the it's still warm. Try powdered sugar, frosting or whipped cream after the cake cools (if you can wait that long). The choice is yours.
- Grab a spoon & enjoy!
- Mocha: Replace the hot water with hot coffee
- Vanilla: omit cocoa powder and increase the vanilla to 2 tsp
- Spice cake: omit cocoa powder and add 1/2 tsp cinnamon and 1/4 tsp each nutmeg, cloves, & ginger
- Pumpkin: omit cocoa powder and use the spices above & add 1 Tbsp pumpkin purée
- 1 1/2 cups (180g) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (20g) cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp white or cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup canola oil (66g)
- 1 cup hot water